SADHANA INTENSIVE (SI)
Extend the limits of your capabilities, strengthen your stamina and develop long-lasting self-confidence in this two-week intensive programme open to Sivananda graduates. Work towards eight hours of hatha yoga per day, do intense and prolonged pranayama, based on individual self-practice.
Introspect deeply and discover the heart of hatha yoga practice. Sadhana Intensive is, as the name suggests, an in-depth and demanding programme of classical hatha yoga, balanced by the study of classical scriptures, devised by Swami Vishnudevananda, based on his own hatha yoga sadhana in the Himalayas. He often said that six months of this intensive practice gave him the energy to spread the teachings of yoga throughout the world for the subsequent forty years.
This is a unique opportunity to experience a heightened level of consciousness, increased energy, sharpened senses, improved memory, clarity of mind, a deep humility, contentment, joy and lightness of being. The course demands a high level of self-discipline and you are guided according to your individual needs. You are expected to remain within the Ashram premises throughout the two weeks of the course with no free days, no access to telephone or email and a strict sattvic diet (no salt, spice, tea or sugar).
Many students choose to take this course several times, each time experiencing a considerable deepening of their yoga practice.
Sadhana Intensive is open to Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course graduates (TTC / ATTC) only. Good physical and mental health as well as a high degree of self-motivation are required due to the very intensive nature of the course. It requires some preparation from the student.
Interested students are advised to prepare by following a regular daily hatha yoga practice and a sattvic lifestyle.
The emphasis of the course is on the practice of pranayama. The course consists of 2-3 practices a day. Each session lasts for 2 to 3 hours. The daily schedule includes:
- 12 basic asanas (self practice, limited time)
- Concentrated periods of advanced pranayama of progressive intensity
- Explanations and practice of mudras, bandhas and mantras
- Recitation of Sanskrit verses
- Practice of shat kriyas (cleansing techniques)
- Spiritual diary
- Likhita japa (mantra writing)
The daily schedule is cumulative and as such, is not fixed. In the morning, the students meet with the teacher and receive instructions for the practice of the day. Students are guided individually in their practice. All meet again at midday for scriptural study. Participation in the entire daily schedule is mandatory. The Course Director may change the schedule according to the needs of the students.
The schedule includes the following:
- Kriya practice
- Morning and evening satsang with meditation and chanting
- Two or three practice sessions of asana and advanced pranayama with bandhas and mudras
- Study of Hatha Yoga Pradipika / Viveka Chudamani / Srimad Bhagavatam
- Morning almond milk drink, brunch, and dinner
- Manual and Uniform: A manual is provided as a part of the course material and is included in the course fee. Students are required to bring their TTC uniform to be used during the course. Uniforms are not provided for the course but are usually available for purchase at the ashram boutique.
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swatmarama with commentary by Swami Vishnudevananda
- Viveka Chudamani by Adi Sankaracharya
- Srimad Bhagavatam
TTC Certification: Verification of TTC certification is required.
Meals:. An almond-milk drink is provided in the morning. Simple vegetarian meals are provided at 10am and 6pm
Refund policy: Please refer to each location’s policy.
Language: Please make sure of language requirements before registering for the Course.
Things to bring: Please go to the individual Ashram site for specific items to bring. This will include comfortable modest clothing, walking shoes, sandals, toiletries, personal items, meditation shawl, yoga mat, meditation cushion, notebooks, pens, towels, water bottle and torch (flashlight). Most of these items can be purchased at the Ashram boutique.
Required Texts:These are not included in the course fee and can be bought from the Ashram boutique: